Social & Scientific Systems (SSS) works to improve public health worldwide by providing technical, research, and program management services to government, nonprofit, and commercial clients. The SSS team offers a synergy of expertise in clinical research services, epidemiology and public health studies, health data management and analysis, and program evaluation and policy analysis. Please join our dedicated staff of employee-owners in an environment that values diversity and supports health, well-being, and professional growth.
SSS is seeking a Study Manager to support clinical research studies conducted by investigators at the Clinical Research Branch of the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. You will be responsible for the development, implementation, and / or oversight of research studies. Responsibilities range from development and oversight of budgets, timelines, staffing, and subcontracts, to protocol and study materials development, Institutional Review Board and other regulatory submissions, development and implementation of quality assurance plans and field site monitoring, and overall study communications.
The ideal candidate will have experience in epidemiological or observational clinical research, be able to manage working on multiple projects simultaneously, be flexible, and enjoy working with a multidisciplinary team. Excellent organizational and communication skills are essential. Position is for full time employment with SSS and will be based in our Durham, NC office.
• Serves as Task Order Project Manager and works with IDIQ Contract Program Manager and Principal Investigator to specify contract deliverables and plan timelines and project activities ensuring adherence to all contract requirements and delivery schedules.
• Manages budgets and timelines and ensures all work is performed within budget and time constraints.
• Provides oversight and direction to project teams and manages all aspects of research study activities from inception to close out.
• Works with clients, develops technical approach, writes IRB and data collection protocols, designs related materials for projects, and prepares timelines.
• Conducts staff trainings, and assigns and directs activities of research assistants, research associates, and other staff assigned to the project.
• Collaborates with laboratory, data, field staff, and Telephone Research Center managers to estimate task specific resource requirements, and prepare preliminary budgets.
• Provides guidance to the data manager on prioritization of data management activities and ensures thorough data management plans which outline quality control and documentation procedures.
• Provides project management support for specimen shipping, processing, and storage activities.
• Leads the development of study quality assurance plans.
• Works with programming staff to design study management systems for projects and assists with development of electronic data collection approaches, consulting appropriately with clients to clarify requirements.
• Develops and maintains procedure manuals.
• Writes monthly project reports, ensuring that all staff reporting on the project provide accurate and complete descriptions of effort expended.
• Performs additional duties as required.
• Significant experience in management of epidemiological, observational clinical, government-sponsored and/or investigator initiated research.
• Working knowledge of research principles and practices and regulatory requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and on a team.
• Exceptional organizational skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Effective time management strategies and practices.
• Ability to balance the “big picture” with attention to detail.
• Effective interpersonal skills including the ability to provide balanced feedback, motivate and train others.
• Ability to proactively identify, prevent or resolve issues.
• Ability to quickly come up to speed and self-start in a multitude of project environments and study staff.
• Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE
• MPH or equivalent and at least 5 years of study management experience in public health research projects
• BS/BA degree in the life sciences or public health-related field or RN/BSN and 7 years public health research management experience
SSS is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discrimated against on the basis of disability.