Social & Scientific Systems (SSS) works to improve public health worldwide by providing technical, research, and program management services to government, nonprofit, and commercial clients. The SSS team offers a synergy of expertise in clinical research services, epidemiology and public health studies, health data management and analysis, and program evaluation and policy analysis. Please join our dedicated staff of employee-owners in an environment that values diversity and supports health, well-being, and professional growth.
We are currently seeking an Epidemiologist to provide scientific leadership and day to day management for research projects including oversight of financial, contractual, and operational research activities on behalf of the federal government. Our clients include major federal agencies, such as the NIH, CDC, and VA. The studies we conduct focus on the impact of the physical and social environment on human health and well-being, as well as genetic, occupational, and lifestyle risk factors. You will be part of a multi-disciplinary team that includes other epidemiologists, data managers, statistical programmers, and operations staff. This position offers many opportunities for leadership, professional development, innovation, collaboration across disciplines, and publication.
The ideal candidate has significant experience supervising the conduct of epidemiologic studies in domestic or international settings. Experience limited to supervising the conduct of clinical trial projects is not sufficient for this position.
The Epidemiologist/Project Manager will work for federal clients in the public health market, supervising epidemiological studies of various exposure and disease outcome areas including environmental, occupational, genetic, and behavioral risk factors and chronic diseases such as asthma, cancer, neurodegenerative, and reproductive outcomes. They will plan, guide, and oversee day-to-day internal activities and support the projects, and be the primary point of contact with clients.
The Epidemiologist/Project Manager must have a Master’s or Doctorate degree in epidemiology, public health or a closely related field with 5 or more years’ experience; excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
• Minimum 3 years of management experience on epidemiologic or observational clinical research contracts or projects
• Experience managing technical, administrative, and budgetary aspects of epidemiological or other public health research projects or programs.
• Experience training study staff and coordinating day-to-day research activities.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across projects; flexible and creative.
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, including the ability to build and manage cooperative client and research-partner relationships and motivate project team members.
• Experience with Institutional Review Board (IRB) applications and regulatory oversight.
• Experience managing large prospective cohort studies is a plus.
• Experience with supervising multiple, concurrent research studies in both national and international settings is a plus.
• Experience with standard contract and business documentation and practices is a plus.
• Experience with any of the following a plus: environmental, nutritional, cancer, genetic or spatial epidemiology, GWAS or array studies and/or data.
SSS is committed to fostering a diverse workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discrimated against on the basis of disability.